Sometimes the prospect of starting something new (or starting something over again) can be scary. The task can look overwhelming, even if it’s one you KNOW will be a good thing for you.
If you’re like me, some of the voices in your head are saying…
- I’m not sure how to do this.
- What if I do it wrong?
- I can’t get it done in time.
- It’s way too much for me.
- Maybe this is the wrong decision…
Here’s how you can positively re-frame those voices:
- I’m not sure how to do this but I’m smart. I’ll figure out what I can and get help with the rest!
- I will make my share of mistakes. Everybody does. That’s how I’ll learn.
- I’ll do my best to work in a timely way. Have I set my deadlines well?
- It’s probably too much for me! 🙂 But I am really going to grow in the way that I think I should. No sense in trying to take the easy way out; this way is better.
- I’ve thought it through, and my gut and my heart both say this is the right decision. Second-guessing is only slowing me down. If it becomes clear that I should shift directions, I will do that. Meanwhile, I’ll move forward with the decision I have made.
And to help us both focus on the positive and step forward into the unknown, I’ve written a simple mantra. Here’s the text from the video above, if you like to jot these things down in a journal (or even on a scrap of paper) like I do…